Monday, January 1, 2018

Top 9 Recipes of 2017

As for year end lists, my Top 9 Recipes of 2017 is one you can really sink your teeth into. And all of my top picks are deliciously cheap to make. Just click on any recipe name to see the original 2017 blogpost, or play any embedded video below. The ranking order is random and not by delectability, so go ahead and dig in!

It was the Year of the Legume in the Cheap$kate Cocina with two Top 9 Recipes featuring slow-cooked beans

1. Cuban Black Beans
This could be my favorite recipe in the batch. I've been making these beans for the last few years and have perfected a recipe you will be coming back to for seconds and thirds. In 2017 I finally put the recipe to video, so make sure to bookmark this one!



2. Mexican-style Pinto Beans
This is the recipe I make the most. I grew up eating Mexican-style Pinto Beans and have many recipes that use them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Anytime I throw a Carnitas Taco Party, you will find a pot of Pinto Beans and my Mom's Mexican Rice warming on the stove - with a line of party guests refilling their bowls.



3. Quick Pizza with Egg
I first had an egg baked, with the yolk still runny, on a pizza in Rome, Italy. Well, this Culinary  Renaissance Cook has come up with a quick and easy way to make your own - try it sometime, I bet you will never look at a pizza the same way! Pizza for breakfast? Sure why not.



4. Roast Chicken with Rosemary 
If you're an urban gardener, or at the very least have a windowsill box with a few herbs, then this recipe is for you. Hey, it's okay if you just get a bottle of dried Rosemary from the local grocery shelf, too. Rosemary needles are pungent, fresh or dried, and go especially well with a Roast Chicken. My recipe is simple and easy, and loaded with earthy herb flavor.



5. Mom's Cajun Potato Salad 
My Mom lives in Louisiana and when we get together the sparks fly. And our video recipes together are always a year-end highlight. This year she shared her Cajun Potato Salad recipe with me, and now my visitors can get all the tasty details.



6. Grilled Fish
Summertime is more than barbecuing burgers and hot dogs. Try grilling a whole fish...the 99 Cent Chef way. All I use is a little olive oil, salt and pepper, that's it, but boy is it flaky fresh.
.


7. Fresh Boiled Corn
Everyone knows how to boil corn, right? Hey, if you are a cooking newbie, or just never got around to working with fresh ears of corn, I got your back!



8. Sauteed Crookneck Squash
I like to cook with yellow Crookneck Squash, because you use the whole thing. No peeling or removal of seeds is necessary. No muss, no fuss, just the way I like it.



9. Strawberry Compote
My final recipe is perfect for the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays. Strawberry Compote is like a homemade jam made with fresh fruit. Use a package of whole cranberries instead of strawberries and you have a Homemade Cranberry Sauce - save the canned stuff for another day. I've poured this fruity topping on ice cream and pancakes.



It has been a fruitfully abundant year of recipes here at the Cheap$kate Chateau. I did the heavy lifting for you, so now all you have to do is pick a recipe link and save yourself some hard earned cash by trying out any of the above. And if you have a favorite recipe of mine, then leave a comment to share.

And make sure to keep checking in here from time to time. I create yummy-looking blog posts with a dollop of humor, and while my tastes are cheap, my recipe flavors are top shelf !

1 comment:

B. Keene said...

Yum, some of my favorites,too !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...