Saturday, July 6, 2013

Avocado Crema

I like a recipe with just two ingredients. Especially when the recipe is as cheap and delicious as my Avocado Crema.


When I stop at Leo's Taco Truck (video here) and top my  midnight $1 al pastor taco with some Avocado Crema after a double feature flick at: the Hollywood Boulevard Art Nouveau Egyptian Theater, the most eclectically film programmed Cinefamily, the Quentin Tarantino benefactor of New Beverly, the Billy Wilder Theater run by UCLA Television Film and Archive in Westwood, or the movie house with the most seating legroom, Leo S. Bing at LAMCA. Fresh sliced off the fiery trompo my al pastor tacos get a dollop of avocado sauce for a perfect pairing -- cool and creamy, combined with charred slices of seasoned pork.

Not all taco trucks and taquerias provide an Avocado Crema, so I am always on the lookout for it. And each taco kiosk has their own recipe. Some are watery and weak, others are thick and spicy, blended with cilantro and jalapeno.

For my recipe, it's just avocado and Mexican crema. Here in L.A. my local Latin market often has sales of 7 small avocados for a buck. I like the compact size because it's perfect for a single serving.


And Mexica crema is cheap enough. Mexican crema is a milder version of regular sour cream. This recipe is adaptable so try it with any sour cream you find on sale at your local market.


I know that avocados are expensive outside of California, but my Avocado Crema helps stretch out the expensive fruit.

It's summertime and parties are happening all over town. My Avocado Crema is a perfect dip for chips and fresh chopped veggies like: carrots, celery, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and crowns of broccoli and cauliflower.

But my favorite use is as a taco topping. I have a slew of Mexican recipes you can try out, just click on any name to see the recipe for: Carnitas (pork), gringo-style Ground Chicken, Carne Asada (steak), Loxaco (Jewish Taco), Fish Tostada, Salmon EnchiladasChorizo and Eggs, Chiccarones (pork skin) and Potato Tacos.


Last weekend we threw a Carnitas Taco patio party and I made three salsas. My Pico de Gallo (recipe here) and Salsa Verde (recipe coming soon) were perfect as a tortilla chip dip and taco topping. But the Avocado Crema got the most compliments and return visits.

My latest rich and flavorful Latin recipe couldn't be easier to make. Be sure to set out a bowl full at your (or a friends) next party.



Ingredients (2-4 servings)
  • 2 small avocados - or 1 large one.
  • 8 ounces Mexican Crema - any sour cream, low fat or regular. Mexican Crema has a slight sour taste just like regular sour cream.
*Extra additions -  a few sprigs of cilantro, slice of jalapeno (add a little at a time to desired spiciness,) and a teaspoon of lime or lemon juice.

Directions
Couldn't be easier to make. Just slice avocado in half and remove seed then spoon out soft ripe flesh.

Add avocado flesh and crema (or sour cream) to a blender or food processor. Pulse and blend until creamy, for 30 seconds or so.


You could also just mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher and mix into sour cream. Then mash the mixture some more until fairly smooth. Doesn't have to be perfect, it's a pleasant surprise to bite into ripe avocado nuggets.

Best to make fresh or a few hours before serving. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Place the avocado pits in the Avocado Crema to minimize discoloring. After a few hours there still may be a thin brown film, but will still taste great -- just do a quick stir before serving.

Get out the chips, sliced veggies for dipping, or make one of my taco recipes and spoon it on.

Hindsight
A teaspoon of lime juice will keep the Avocado Crema fresh-looking longer, but it will change the flavor, not bad, but I prefer it without. You could also blend in a few sprigs of cilantro, I like it this way too.

My recipe is easy to double or quadruple for a large group. And you can use more or less avocado to suit your budget.

And Store ripe soft avocados in the refrigerator until ready to use, they will last longer that way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...