Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spinach With Sesame Seeds

This is a tasty way to take the boring out of spinach -- sauteing spinach Japanese style with toasted sesame seeds. Plus it's quick and easy to prepare, too.


I've had Spinach with Sesame Seeds at my local 99 cent per piece sushi restaurant, served as a cold condiment (click here for my sushi restaurant review). But I've made it at home as a regular side dish served warm, and I actually like it better that way.

I always find fresh spinach at 99c only Stores, and my local Latin market sells a large bunch for the same price. And I always have a dollar store bottle of sesame seeds on hand for making fresh hummus (video recipe here).

Also, sauteing spinach in a teaspoon of sesame oil makes for a less sloppy side - no need draining typically soggy steamed spinach.

My Oriental styled spinach is a tasty spin I hope you will enjoy.

Ingredients
  • Package of spinach - or an unpackaged bunch (be sure to wash well and cut off longer stems).
  • 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds - lightly browned in pan. Okay to sprinkle uncooked on spinach as well - just results in a milder taste.
  • 1 teaspoon of oil - sesame, or any type.
  • Pinch of salt - to taste.

Directions
Add teaspoon of sesame seeds to a medium heated pan, and stir frequently. You'll need to hover over the pan for 2 - 5 minutes when toasting sesame seeds - they can burn quickly once the browning starts. Scrape out seeds into a bowl or small plate when done and set aside.

Pour in 1 teaspoon of oil into pan and swirl to coat well. Add spinach and stir as it wilts - it will soften quickly after a couple of minutes. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to your plate or a bowl and sprinkle on toasted (or raw) sesame seeds. Serve warm or at room temperature.

4 comments:

Dinahsoar said...

Wow..love this. Good accompaniment to my Asian Twist Tuna Salad..which is drained canned tuna plus other stuff...all tossed with a miso ginger dressing

I got the miso ginger dressing recipe from the internet and wanted to share the link--it's heavy on the toasted sesame seed oil-- but I can't find it. Here's the recipe:

Ginger Miso Salad Dressing

Ingredients:
3-4 Tbs. light miso
2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 Tbs. dark sesame oil
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water

To Prepare:
Combine miso, ginger, lemon or vinegar, and sesame oil in a blender and blend on low speed until smooth. Gradually add oil in a thin steady stream until mixed. Then very slowly add water until thick and creamy. Taste and add more miso if you want a richer flavor.

Note: I grated my ginger with a microplane and used a whisk to emulsify by adding the oil slowly--almost drip it in--and whisking constantly. Adding an ice cube speeds up the process. Just be sure to remove it once it all comes together.

oddlyme said...

This looks great!

99 Cent Chef said...

Great recipe Dinah, thanks! ;-)

Gexton said...

Very nice its helpful for me thanx for share hulled sesame seeds

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...