Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fresh Strawberries in Oatmeal - Deal of the Day

Oatmeal is boring and flavorless. Fresh fruit adds color and a light citrus pop to your boring breakfast of oatmeal. It's as fast as scrambling a couple of eggs, but without all the cholesterol. Oatmeal is a great vehicle for fresh fruit including peaches, blueberries and half a chopped apple (with a sprinkle of cinnamon). The Chef picked up a large one-pound crate of fresh strawberries at this 99c only Store yesterday. Strawberries are back! You will not use up all the stawberries with oatmeal, so trim and slice a few for a smoothie the next day. My smoothie recipe is here. Fresh strawberries in oatmeal is a great Deal of the Day.

Instructions (1-2 servings)
About 4 whole strawberries
1 cup oatmeal (if instant follow directions)
1 and 3/4 cups water
Finish with butter, milk and honey (optional)

Directions
Add sliced strawberries and water to oatmeal. Cook at low heat for 5 minutes covered. Serve with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey & milk.

3 comments:

Danit said...

I usually see oatmeal as just okay. But your picture actually makes it look much more than okay, it looks delicious!! Can't wait to try this recipe.

I picked up some strawberries from there myself, so happy to see they were carrying them!

Unknown said...

Wow! Over 2 cups for one serving? I use half a cup oatmeal for myself and it's plenty.

99 Cent Chef said...

I often skip lunch, so I eat a large portion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...