Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Cornish Game Hen and Orange Sauce

The 99 Cent Chef has not had Cornish Game Hen since I don't know when. For some reason, I remembered Cornish Hen as having a gamey, strong flavor. Wrong! It has the most delicate texture and a light, buttery flavor.


This winter, my local Ralphs and Albertsons markets have had sales on Cornish Game Hens for 97 and 99 cents per pound, respectively; normal price is $2.39 per pound, on a 2 bird package.






I like to baste the bird with a mixture of melted butter, orange juice and honey. Make your favorite stuffing to complement the bird. It's kind of funny to stuff such a small bird, but the stuffing will be delicious.

Orange Sauce for 2 Cornish Game Hens
juice of 4-6 medium oranges or 1 cup orange juice
zest of one orange (grate the skin and stop when you see the white, bitter, rind)
1/4 stick of butter or 2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 cup of honey
1 teaspoon of corn starch or flour
Mix and heat the orange mixture until it thickens; about 3-5 minutes.
Baste cornish hens 3 or 4 times during baking.

Directions


Baste the bird; salt & pepper to taste.


Bake at 375 degrees for a hour to a hour and a half. I check for doneness by piercing thigh with a fork to see when juices run clear. Cooking takes longer than package directions when you frequently open the oven to baste.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used the orange sauce recipe on a whole chicken I didn't know wht to do with.....it was wonderful. I've never made such a tasty bird. Thnks for the idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...